Have you ever wished to hit the open water of magnificent Port Phillip Bay area and go fishing and cruising with your friends and family on a boat, but then realized that you don’t have an actual boat? Indeed, not everyone can afford to own a boat.
For the inexperienced, boat hire can be menacing and lead to several questions like about the licenses required, credentials or advanced instructions needed to hire a boat and properly use it on a lake, river or reservoir. Rather, boat hire is an extremely easy process for the first-time renter. The key to an enjoyable and safe boat hire experience is to equip yourself with the knowledge to handle the boat before taking the helm. Let’s ponder deeper:
What To Look For While Opting For Boat Hire in Melbourne?
Going fishing on your own private boat is an excellent way to create lasting memories. If you own a boat and are in a position to carry it with you, then you can always do that. However, to avoid the responsibilities and logistics that come with the boat, why not consider going for boat hire in Melbourne. It gives you unprecedented freedom and flexibility in planning your vacation.
When looking for boat hire in Melbourne, you need to make sure that the service provider meets certain considerations. Listed below are a few things that you need to do while hiring a boat.
#1 Boat’s Condition
The first and foremost thing that you need to consider while going for boat hire is its condition. In order to avoid unnecessary inconveniences, ensure that the boat you are going to hire should be well-maintained. Check out the general condition and appearance of the boat. Another thing that can give you a hint about the boat’s condition is the look and organisation of the service provider’s office. If their office is well-maintained and neat, the chances are their boat will also be in good condition.
#2 Boat’s Size
When you are travelling in a group, it’s highly advisable that you hire a boat that accommodates all of you on-board. You all are out there to enjoy and there’s no point in scrambling and struggling for space. Usually, most of the boats have a capacity to accommodate 5-10 people. As such, check out the size of the boat you are about to hire.
#3 Shore Navigation
In the middle of the water, you just can’t rely on the geographical features to get to where you want. As your guide, you need to have some navigation tools. Thus, before you make any final decision, ensure that the boat you rent has a map or chart for navigation purposes. Remember that the waterways do change and having a reliable navigation tool is crucial.
#4 Safety Equipment
When on the waters, safety should be your major concern. As such, ensure that the boat is equipped with all the necessary safety accessories. Ideally, there is a law that prohibits you from hiring and using boats that don’t have safety equipment.
Things You Need To Take Along With You
- Car License (full, probationary or international)
- Mobile Phone (charged and with available credit)
- Seasonal Clothing
- Food and Drink
- Bait and Tackle
- Fishing Gear
Things You Need To Consider During Boat Hire in Melbourne:
- Summer is the peak season for boat hire in Melbourne. Especially, weekends are the busiest. Thus, it is highly advisable to make the booking well-in-advance of their plans. In summer and on weekends, Port Phillip Bay is at their busiest and you may end up without any boats available on rent.
- Melbourne is known for its unpredictable weather. Thus, it is wise to carry an extra layer of clothing. You can also carry a cooler for beverages.
- Most of the boat hire will require you to sign a waiver acknowledging responsibility for the vessel and the people on board. You are also responsible for the injuries suffered and damage caused to the boat, but not for mechanical issues. Prior to taking the boat on the water, you need to be present during check-in and check-out and sign a waiver.
- Age requirement for boat hire differs from one rental company to another. While some companies may require the renter to be at least 18 years old, whereas for others the minimum age can be 25 years.
- Usually, all the rental companies will provide you with safety guidelines and how to operate the boat. It’s similar to car hire, except boat operations can be a little tricky. For instance, unlike cars, boats don’t have brakes. Moreover, wind, weather and water current can play a significant role in its operation. It is highly advisable to allocate an experienced person to captain the boat.
- Most of the boat hire companies offer boats for an average of $300 per day. Also, there are companies who offer several price options and hourly limits. They may require a deposit and can keep a part or all of that deposit, in case if the renter is irresponsible and caused boat damage.
- Also, many companies provide accessories like a fishing rod, skis and ski boards for rent. They even allow you to bring your own, but if you don’t have one you can always hire from them at a competitive price.
- Although rental companies are usually reliable, it’s wise to check out the reviews and testimonials of their previous clients on the internet. Importantly, don’t be afraid or ashamed of asking any questions. Most of their clients have no previous experience and it’s their job to educate you with all the vital information.
All in all, boat hire in Melbourne is the best way to enjoy the boards. However, it’s always advisable to play safe, to ensure that there is no hindrance in your way of enjoyment. Hiring a boat from a reputed company and following all the safety and operation guidelines can make your fishing tour more enjoyable. In case of any doubts or questions, let us know in the comments below.